The leisure facilites available on-site at Beacon Hill Farm are first class, but Northumberland has attractions and more to match. From castles to stately homes, from beaches to rivers, from museums to coastal villages and market towns, and from the wilds of the National Park to shopping in Newcastle, Northumberland has it all just waiting to be explored!
- Spa, Swimming Pool, Gym and Salon
- Outdoor Leisure Facilities
- Beaches of Northumberland
- Castles and Gardens of Northumberland
Northumberland Tourist Information
The second largest county in England, and one of the least populated, Northumberland with its spectacular, unspoilt countryside offers a wealth of opportunities for both the first time and regular visitor. Popular with visitors wanting to experience nature untouched, Northumberland is positioned on a border that has been fought over for many centuries. Whether you are interested in historical sites of interest or untouched scenes of natural beauty, a Northumberland Holiday is for you!
Here are just some examples:
- Hadrian's Wall ... running from Newcastle to Carlisle and now a World Heritage Site.
- Lindisfarne (Holy Island) ... ancient Christian site with historic castle and priory reached by a causeway that is flooded at high tide.
- Cragside ... built by Lord Armstrong and now in the care of the National Trust, this was the first house in the world to be lit by electricity.
- Wallington Hall ... another National Trust property, famous for its architecture and gardens.
- Northumberland Heritage Coast... miles of golden beaches and charming fishing villages such as Alnmouth, Craster and Seahouses.
- The Farne Islands ... a sanctuary for many species of sea-birds, including puffins, guillemots, kittiwakes and terns, reached by boat from Seahouses.
- Alnwick and Bamburgh Castles ... just two of the many historic castles in Northumbria, used many times for locations for major films such as Harry Potter.
- The Alnwick Garden ... acres of fascinating plants, water sculptures, a poison garden, and one of the world’s largest wooden tree-houses.
- Beamish Open Air Museum ... enjoy a nostalgic day out in neighbouring County Durham at the North of England's premier industrial heritage centre.
- Durham Cathedral ... has been called one of the finest buildings in the world.
Hiking and Walking in Northumberland
Northumberland is a haven for walkers and ramblers, whether tackling a challenging walk across the fells or a pleasant stroll in the countryside or along the coast. Highlights include Northumberland National Park and Kielder Forest Park. Details of walks in Northumberland can be found at www.shepherdswalks.co.uk.
Northumberland Golf Courses
With over twenty-five 18-hole golf courses, Northumberland offers some of the best golf courses in the UK, most of which are happy to welcome new visitors. Local golf courses include Rothbury Golf Club, Arcot Hall Golf Club, Bellingham Golf Club, and many, many more.
Shopping in Northumberland
Shoppers visiting Northumberland are well catered for with city centre shopping at Eldon Square in Newcastle and the Metro Centre in Gateshead. If you are looking to experience more local produce native to Northumberland, there are plenty of towns offering local produce and wares ranging from clothing, crafts and bric-a-brac to fishing, sports and furniture.
Fishing in Northumberland
Northumberland has one of the largest opportunities for fishing in the UK. Local rivers, lakes and reservoirs offer ample opportunities to fish in peace and tranquillity. Northumberland caters to all sorts of fly fishing.
At Beacon Hill Farm, we offer our guests access to our very own two-acre fly-fishing lake, which is set within a 20 acre nature reserve and stocked with rainbow trout all year round.
Each of our coastal holiday cottages at Beacon Hill Farm is stocked with a large amount of tourist information. We also maintain a file of additional information drawn from our own personal experiences and the comments of our guests. Recommendations can also be found in our on-line forum and many external websites are listed in our links section.